Re: [NTLK] iphone

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 00:24:52 EST

on 11/30/02 10:42 PM, Brian Pearce at bpearce_at_cloud9.net wrote:

> I'll go one better; I think the "iphone" speculation is groundless. I
> don't think Apple *has* any plans to enter the mobile phone market.
> (What would be the point? In many cases, hardware is just about given
> away to attract people to use the different services.)
>
> BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

I agree with you, however the same was said of the ipod when it was
released. I recall speculation was they wouldn't sell more than a few
thousand to mac diehards as the mp3 market was saturated. Based on current
sales I think apple surprised a lot of people. I wonder how many pc ipods
will sell this Christmas shopping season? I'd be more optimistic if the
retailers (BestBuy, target etc) would take them out of their security
wrapped packages and let people actually see them. I've only seen one store
(the apple store) where they are actually on display. Anyway unless apple
comes out with a cell phone which will sync with my sock drawer I'm not in
the market.

-Chet

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html