[NTLK] Very OT: Southern Californians and Loud Shirts - please explain.

From: Ben Wells (headwerkx_at_iprimus.com.au)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 08:07:53 EST

My apologies for a blatantly off topic and generally weird question,
but something has really been bugging me lately and maybe someone here
can shed some light on the matter.

What is the deal with Southern Californians and loud shirts?

Last night my girlfriend and I were watching all the interactive
content on the Monsters, Inc. DVD. Every single person at Pixer was
wearing a loud shirt.

A few days ago I watched a product demonstration by Digidesign (makes
of ProTools). All the cast - you guessed it, wearing a loud shirt.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against loud shirts. I even own a
few very colourful Mambo shirts. I just want to know if there is some
kind of organised conspiracy going on here.

Like an early 70's Silicon Valley entrepreneur standing tall above his
breathen and saying "Screw these suits, we're in the desert for cryin'
out loud. Let's conduct board meetings in something more comfortable".

Or perhaps the economy of Palo Alto isn't actually built on technology,
but rather a large textiles company.

And when you move into the neighbourhood, your neighbours don't give
you a basket full of biscuits and coupons to local shops, but rather a
shirt for each member of the family.

Answers please.

Ben.
A plainly-clothed Australian.