Re: [NTLK] Why use the Newton to surf the web/e-mail?

From: Donald Wilson (marchie_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 19:34:11 EST

On Monday, Dec 2, 2002, at 14:53 America/Detroit, Christopher Edwards
wrote:
> That's what It comes down to. It's fun and that's cool. I like
> tinkering
> with all this also, but I keep in mind that it is a hobby vs. a
> productivity
> booster. I rely on the newest technology I can for "mission critical"
> stuff.

But is the newest technology the BEST you can use for your mission
critical stuff?

Mission critical to me is being able to get to my email easily, so I
can see what messages have been sent to me by people, and from the
mailing list servers that I manage. Walk into the cafe, and before they
have my 5 shot mocha prepared, my email has been fetched over the
Wireless net connection... Sit in one of the big comfy chairs, tap the
link in the email, and up comes NewtsCape... do my managerial duties
and I'm done. Do that on a Palm as easily as I do.

There are no less than 5 places I can do that around town, not
includeing the university buildings.

> When I hear the administrator of Low End Mac talk about how his lively
> hood
> depends on his equipment, and he is using 2-3 different co puters to
> get
> stuff done vs. one, I just don't see the logic. Don't get me wrong, I
> LOVE
> Low End Mac's site.

Again, does it serve him better to have 3 computers doing that, rahter
than one?
In my room I have the G4 that serves most of my functionality. I have a
Quadra 630 in the other corner of my room, with the CD burner on it
(don't have one that works in OS X)... and the Quadra 950 next to it,
with the 2GB tape drive that does backups and serves the card catalogue
for the house library of books, music and magazines.

If I want to do page layout and design, say for a class, I'll hook up
the 9600 with the 2 page display and the portrait display in it...
makes sucks work go SOOOO much faster.

There are just things I CAN'T do on my G4.. the newest technology
that's around here (well.. mom iBook doesn't count since I can't use
it).

back to your subject tho, why use the Newt for surfing and email?
Because it works better than anything else I can get on the market.
Because if I have a Newton, I may as well use it for all it can do.

~Donald

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html