Re: [NTLK] Newton Future: what could be done IMO

From: Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 15:19:20 EST

Guys if I may - it may be best as a starting point to pick up and continue
(or rewrite) the work of GNUton, there's a lot in there, but if you can
get GNUton to work, then other stuff like handwriting recognition can be
added in later.

At that point other services such as TCP/IP, wireless, IR, HWR, color can
come from the host OS, and there's far less to implement.

You're far more likely to succeede on that path than by attempting to get
Apple to release Newton details, or to even find an Apple engineer who'd
be able to help (and not violate their NDA and other contracts with
Apple.)

Also, don't worry about packages that require C/C++/ARM assembly for now,
or even the built in apps. That can come later. Things like notes and
the built in stuff can be rewritten once you get most of it working. If
you can get simple packages to work, you'll raise enough interest to get
people to rewrite the missing pieces.

Don't worry about porting to this or that platform, that can come
later. Making an emulator that requires Newton ROMs will only get Apple
pissed. Sure, Basillisk does this, but if you want it to be totally
unhindered, this is the cleanest way to go.

----------------------Kaos-Keraunos-Kybernetos---------------------------
 + ^ + :NSA got $20Bil/year |Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/ :and didn't stop 9-11|share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:Instead of rewarding|monitor, or under your keyboard, you \/|\/
  /|\ :their failures, we |don't email them, or put them on a web \|/
 + v + :should get refunds! |site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_@_sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Stephen Swift wrote:

> At 12/4/02 2:18 AM, Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net) Wrote:
>
> > There is the licensing problem. Actually, this is what prevented me
> > to work in that direction for so long (today, it's rather a big lack

<SNIP>

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html