Re: [NTLK] Palm negative comments (was eMate vs Alphasmart Dana)

From: Ashley Campbell (awc2_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 09:49:22 EST

On Thursday, Dec 5, 2002, at 08:10 US/Eastern, Mark Rollins wrote:

> Nope, it's the former. I use a Handspring Visor, and the only reason I
> tolerate it is 1) VisorPhone 2) Color screen for Solitaire 3) fits in
> shirt
> pocket.

I'm in a similar boat to yours. I have a SPH-I300 Sprint PCS Palm/phone
and it's the worst device I've ever owned. I started the PDA world with
an AT&T EO, and when that became impractical, I finally made the leap
and got a Palm III. I upgraded to a Palm V, then to the SPH-I300. Now
that I have a Newton (for about three months) I can't imagine going
back to a Palm full-time. I still have the I300, though, and use it
daily as it fits in my pocket and syncs in a convenient fashion with
AddressBook and the Newton (thank you John!)

Despite having all of that familiar Palm functionality in the
convenience of my pocket all day, I use it for nothing other than
making phone calls. All of my real address book, scheduling, and
notetaking needs are handled by the Newton. It really is just that much
better. Just about everything is better thought out: whenever I want to
do something, it's usually right where I expect it to be. With the
Palm, it's an adventure of searching and digging through a UI that
looks like it was developed using tools that just wouldn't allow
something better.

I had no problem with the Palm and was fairly happy using it until I
got a Newton, and I hope I never have to look back.

-awc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html