Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #832

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 16:56:43 EST

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 04:05 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net=20
wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:11:44 +0100
> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton R&D
> =BF (At) 14:23 -0500 5/12/02, Andrew Thiel =C8crivait (wrote) :
>> -Can't reverse engineer
> Of course we can, under many legislations including France, New
> Zealand and maybe US with fair use (although DMCA or whatever it is
> called makes it a big nightmare).

I mean with the intent of making copies and selling them in a new Newton=20=

or part of an upgrade. Is that legal? If it is, my mistake, I guess the=20=

job might be a little easier!

>> or copy
> We can in France under some circumstances including emulation (ok,
> I'll try to avoid politics and give my opinion of the project of the
> current culture minister that might change things). DVD encryption
> can be considered illegal here.

At any rate we may just want to avoid the ROM copying/modification just=20=

to satisfy the laws of Newton users in all their respective countries.=20=

I've never truly understood the restrictions placed on what you can and=20=

cannot do with ROMs. Anyone have more info?

>> -Don't want to pay too much
> I think that a large amount of people who ask me what it is that I
> use could be ready to pay 400-500 EUR for a PDA with these
> capabilities. It's half as much I paid for my MP2K.
>> -Want to keep the large screen, OS interface and storage structure, =
HWR
>> and all our old software
> Hence the emulation idea. It would have been crazy two years ago
> considering then hardware. But today hardware could handle that
> properly.

But what hardware will you put it on? Putting it on a tablet computer=20
would cause it to lose instant-on capabilities, and all the PocketPC's=20=

I've seen have screens too large for my wobbly, childish handwriting.=20
Please prove me wrong! If there is a tablet that is the right size,=20
turns on instantly, and would run your proposed emulator than it would=20=

be much better than my idea.

-A

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html