Re: [NTLK] wardriving on a newt (kind of)

From: Thomas Tempelmann (listuser_at_tempel.org)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 14:14:09 EST

Sam du Rose wrote:

>The network gave me an ip address using DCHP but that is as far as it
>went, just errors when trying to do anything over the network.

Was that a number beginning around 169.x.y.z? Then this is a addr that is
used when there was actually no DHCP server found.

> From what i can tell, I basically need more settings that my school's
>IT guy just won't hand over (some rubbish to do with network
>security...)

Well, it IT does their job right, they use WEP (encryption) with a
password, which you'll hardly be able to find out (that's the purpose of
it). Otherwise, You might be able to find the network name with a Mac
with Airport installed (it'll list all wireless networks - unless it's
hidden). In any case: if the IT guy knows what he's doing, you won't get
around him.

Thomas

--
Thomas Tempelmann,