Re: [NTLK] OT: I got laid off today

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 01:42:44 EST

It all depends on the company. If the company you work
for lays you off is American based, then count
yourself if you get even a week severance. The United
States is the only industrialized country who treats
their workers as expendable. Every other country has
laws protecting the employee...I have been living with
the "Sword of Damacles" ever since Worldcom announced
their Chapter 11 status. My wife and I would like to
go on with our lives (we went house looking last
week...don't know why I tortured myself).
As an example, If you get laid off at Worldcom, the
employee handbook says minimum 8 weeks of severance,
or if you worked more than 5 years, 4 weeks and an
additional week for each year you worked. This is one
of the good ones. But all those people who got laid
off prior to the CH-11, still haven't received their
money (none left...)
Now take my sister. She got laid off from Intelsat.
This is a European based company. She got the rest of
the pay-period (two weeks) plus the next pay-period
(another two weeks) plus a month for every year of
employment, plus her month of vacation. All together
that adds up to over 10 month of severance. Plus they
offer counceling and job placement and resume
services...meanwhile, we have people like Ebbers,
Rigas and Lay fleecing their companies at the expence
of their employees and nothing ever happens to them...

It sucks man...it really does.

Good luck in your job search. Perhaps you should list
your skills just incase anyone here sees or knows
anything.

Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that the trend nowadays
> seems to be that, in
> the event of layoffs, the person is shown the door
> that day (or sometimes
> that very hour). Whatever happened to "two weeks
> notice"? My current
> employer had bucked this trend for a while, allowing
> folks to take a week or
> two to wrap up any loose ends, pass on their
> records/files to a remaining
> employee in an orderly fashion, AND to use the
> company phones and printers
> to try to line up another job. Now, though, there's
> been changes in
> management and it's the old heave-ho, out the door
> you go, same-day service
> that everyone else seems to favor. Oh well, maybe
> I'm just old fashioned.
>
> - Eric.

=====
"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."
 - Mr. Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.