[NTLK] DIY - Newton OMP battery pack?

From: Michael Jones (michael.jones_at_samtec.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 12:10:47 EST

I bought a Newton OMP off of eBay for $10, and the guy did not send the
4-AAA battery pack. He said he never had it.

Anyway, I figured it would be easy to just stick in a 4-AAA battery pack
from Radio Shack. There are two spring terminals there. Easy, eh? Not so
easy, because there are 3 funky lever buttons to push in to tell the Newton
the cells are in, rechargeable or not. Dang it! I tried every conceivable
combination of buttons pushed in, with no dice.

If I only knew what to do to fool the Newton that it had the "real" Newton
battery back, I would be done. I already shaved the plastic battery pack
slightly to fit in the tight Newton spaces with a razor blade, (and shaved
the tip o' my thumb off).

I took the case off of the Newton, to make sure I had the polarity right (on
the battery connectors). I followed one lead to the PC board where there
was a + on the board.

If I have to, I can take the whole thing completely apart, and wire around
all the switches that tell Newton what is going on - (I think there are 3
lever switches), or just solder the switch terminals together. Or something
like that. I don't want to do that.

I don't think the guy would give me my money back, and heck, it was only
$10.

I hate to buy another battery pack (probably $20), because if I do, I could
have just bought an MP110 - they had some buy-it-now 110's for $30 or so.

Does anybody know how to fool the Newton into thinking that this battery
pack is right?

Thanks,
Michael Alan Jones
Programmer/Analyst