Re: [NTLK] ATTENTION. Please read this.

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 11:37:03 EST

OK..I know, I'm a little behind in my reading. But I
agree with Laurent. This list is definatly one of
those times when "you gotta pick your battles". But
you know, it all works out. Laurent doesn't want to
read emails about Windows and Linux, which is fine,
because I rarely read issues regarding Macs, synching
and Linux. This way, I never get overloaded (unless
you count the holidays that is) by too many off-topic
threads (well, off topic to my ideals that is)
But you know what I sometimes find myself doing
sometimes? I may skip over a topic I don't involve
myself with (nSynch?) But while deleting a bunch of
stuff related to the topic, I will notice that there
is a lot of traffic about this and it will pique my
curiosity. After I delete the emails, I'll go to the
archive and read some of the highlights there.
And based on the diversity of this list, it is an
excellent study in human nature...I don't know about
you, but sometimes it's just fun to sit on one of
those benches at the shopping mall and just people
watch!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:

> On 16/12/02 10:56, "Steve Vander Ark"
> <vderark_at_bccs.org> wrote:
> [snip!]
> > I love being connected to the Newton community,
> but I am seriously
> > considering dropping out of NewtonTalk. It's just
> too much.

<snip>

> The bad side of this is that
> now, I often delete all
> those messages altogether, since I don't have the
> time to read them one by
> one. This also implies that some people needing help
> won't get a reply from
> me, which is what is worrying me the most.
<snip>
> obviously way before Victor came in. I've always
> made it a point to read
> every single message posted on the list, unless it's
> really a topic that
> doesn't interest me, like all messages that mentions
> Windows or Linux.
> However, with the OT threads that are constantly
> going on and the few
> restraint that people are doing makes it very
> difficult to keep up with the
> list, unless that's the only thing you have to do.
> In doing so, I'm sure a
> lot of messages asking for help will get unnoticed
> and I'm sure that a lot
> of new subscribers are probably put off by the high
> number of messages. I
> think that people on this list could do a lot better
> in whether replying to
> a message or not. I'm, for one, a lot less active
> than what I used to be...
>
> -Laurent.

=====
"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."
 - Mr. Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.