Re: [NTLK] Freedom of Press, Deskwriter 600, MP100 Printing

From: Darrell Greenwood (lists1_at_telus.net)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 12:55:18 EST

On 12/29/02 at 1:19 AM -0500, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote :

>Eh? what software is that? How does it work?

My copy (v3.0.1), 1.2 MB, was published in 1990. Postscript
interpreter/emulator.
<http://www.savetz.com/ku/ku/perry_freedom_of_press_classic_january_1994.html>

Essentially puts on Appletalk/Localtalk a Newton recognizable network
"printer".

This "printer", named "FOP Spooler" and actually a spooler utility,
takes the Newton postscript print file, sends it to Freedom of Press
application which converts it to a Quickdraw file which a Deskwriter
prints.

Preferences can be set so entire process is automatic. Bit hairy to
set up because of poor "man-machine" interface but setup only needs
doing once.

Surprise to me was I have not got it going on my 68k Mac (installer
balked strangely and extra page ended up being printed when I
finally, but maybe not correctly, got it installed, Troubleshooting
that problem deferred to a rainy day since I got it working
elsewhere).

Freedom of Press installed easily without error on my iBook.

(Since one does need a serial port Mac to connect the Newton, I get
that through having 'Localtalk Bridge' software running on a LAN
connected 68k Mac and connecting the Newton to the printer port of
the Mac. I had this LAN configuration previously setup for the
Deskwriter printer anyway.)

Cheers,

Darrell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html