[NTLK] Just need a rant...

From: Daves Newton (davesnewton_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 08:49:52 EST

Hi all,

I just need to vent a bit of frustration over the fact that the Newt is now old and dead...

I've just recently introduced my brother and his two daughters (12 & 14) to the Newton and they took to it like ducks to water. And it can all be attributed to the Newton OS. I think I'm
going to have to vote it my number one OS out of any computer that I've come accross so far. It's so intuitive. And they killed it? This is the sort of OS that could have run on *so*
many different devices that there's no reason why it couldn't have become the OS of choice for the general population.

I mean, imagine if the Newton OS was on all sorts of consumer hardware - like the video, or TV or the microwave... with the level of integration that the Message Pad has, these other
devices are screaming for it!

Anyway, I heard a rumour that it wasn't a lone gunman (SJ) that killed the Newt, apparently, Big Billy Gates had his dirty paws all over it too!!! Rumour has it that he injected a *whole*
lotta cash into Apple (which we know as fact) and one of his bargaining chips was to kill the Newton, so that Win CE could take over that market space (which is conjecture). Does
anyone else have any extra info on this? Or am I plainly wrong?

Thanks for the ear,

Dave