Re: [NTLK] Modem Problem... Help!

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 16:10:56 EST

on 2/3/02 2:54 PM, Charles Lewis at cjkjlewis_at_attbi.com wrote:

> Why should the modem be used in the bottom slot?
    I say this for two reasons.
    1. There have been instances where a memory card in the lower slot could
become corrupted if a modem in the upper slot drew too much power. The fix
for this was to put memory cards in the upper slot and modems in the lower
slot. A low power modem should not be a problem, but some can suck 350+mA
during dialup. I believe this is pretty close to the limit of the slot.
    2. This one's purely anecdotal but in most instances where I have
encountered people having trouble with a modem (where there was no apparent
setup reason for the problem) moving it to the lower slot was an instant
fix.

> Is the same true for other comm. cards like ethernet?
    I use the upper slot exclusively for my memory card.

Peter