Re: [NTLK] Article about designing pda's GUI

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 13:31:02 EST

Daniel wrote:
> Interesting point in the performance section.=20

        This is from the article:
<quote>
We have been plagued by slow launch times. Our most complicated
application takes as long as 2.4 seconds to load and display. Of this,
1.5 seconds are spent building and displaying the UI.=20
</quote>

        Their test, by the way, was running on a computer with an ARM7
CPU. ARM7's run up to 133 MHz, so they're comparable to an mp2x00 with
the 162MHz StrongARM. More or less. A bunch of WinCE applications that
I've seen running on WinCE machines in this processor-power range also
take several seconds to open. It's interesting that they take so long,
since they're generally compiled apps and Newton apps are interpreted
p-code.

        Man, too much coffee this morning. I'm turning into statistics
man...

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 197:
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and
swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club
him with a gun will be summarily executed.