Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Mark Ross (markross13_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 15:02:57 EST

>>> Granted, OS X is a mess, and in my opinion, the greatest mistake Apple ever
>>>made, and it may be their downfall if the unix geeks of the world don't buy
>>>it. ;-)
>
>>Are you kidding? I think OS X is fantastic! Blows away Windows XP / NT.
>
>You know, I was an os x early adopter (started with beta) and was truly=
> hosed for my loyalty as os x was IMHO beta until 10.1
>
>However, I am curious to know what you are running it on - I have a G4 400=
> with a gig of ram, and I think it's slow - I still like 9 for speed. I=
> have a G3 Powerbook and a G3 Tower (B&W) and find it ridiculous on them.=
> AND, as for XP, after being a mac guy for years, I recently purchased a=
> new Athlon 1800 based box running XP and I actually like the OS (please,=
> no flames - I call em as I see em). OS X is beautiful, but I really liked=
> how simple 9 was....So now I use everything...
>
>Oh, and you know, IIRC I always found it easier to sync to a PC than a Mac=
> with my newton. Ironic.
>
>Brad

My take: After using the Classic OS for over 15 years, I've gotten used
to it and its neat way of keeping all the mess in its place. Diagnosing
a problem is relatively simple, since you know where stuff is supposed to
go. Even system files are well categorized. OSX, to me, seems much more
complex in its implementation and far less intuitive. While I have not
switched yet, I eventually will and no doubt will miss a lot about OS9.
Maybe I'm being a bit unfair. The Classic OS has been continuously
refined for 18 years and OS X is still new. In any event, I'm waiting
for the next rev before I jump.

Mark Ross
markross13_at_home.com