Re: [NTLK] Manipulation of stats

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 22:21:47 EST

>On 2/9/02 @ 2:10, Ed Kummel wrote:
>
>I do that on my Windows 98 machine all the time.
>Burning a CD, listening to an MP3, transfering a file
>to my server via Net Bios, downloading other MP3s from
>the internet and running Adobe Photoshop editing a
>25mb image. As a matter of fact, I do this so often, I
>don't even think of it. (Intel Celeron 500, 384mb RAM)

Good to hear.

Now add to the fray...a few selected items...

Excel with two 1MB linked workbooks, a couple of PowerPoint animated
presentations, say, 5MB each minimum, and a couple of Word documents say
50-60 pages in length with complex formatting and some graphics.

Oops...there goes the BSofD! Damn! :-)

In all seriousness, 98 does pretty good. Even 95SP2 is okay. But when
you load up these OS'es with MSFT Apps, weird things begin to
happen...funny when you think about it.

I always like when PP toasts a slide and shrinks it to a thumbnail from
which there is no recovery except to do the slide over, or if you are
doing continuous backups, going to the most recently saved version.
Yeah, Undo doesn't even work.

Of course Word is the best at corrupting files. The worst case that I
had running 95 and Word 97, was a corrupted file on version "s". I save
FILENAME-A, then FILENAME-B, etc. I was up to S with no problems. The
document was about 80 pages long. Then all of a sudden, it died --
computer and all. Upon restart S could not be read. I had to go all the
way back to version D and try to remember all of the changes that I made
since that version since all of the copies in between were unreadable.
Yep, Word, a wonderful bloated application! :-o

Sushi