[NTLK] (OT) Ranting, obscenities and pulling the plug...

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 11:27:02 EST

OK folks, and especially the list-dad...

In the past we've all agreed that, for truly monumental events (e.g., 11
Sept), we permit a certain degree of venting on the list. I think pretty
much everyone on this list agrees that the recent "Small World" series of
threads does NOT qualify and should've been taken immediately off list.

At some point, though, I think the postings have gotten so far off topic and
so uncivil that consideration be given to taking active measures. I'll not
be so unwise as to name a particular individual or what action I think
should be taken. I simply put the topic forward for debate.

(And I'm personally of two minds on the issue. One part of me thinks that
at least one person's actions have become so disruptive that action is in
order, but another part thinks that this would be too close to censorship.
But, this is a community and we all should consider this carefully.)

- Eric.