Re: [NTLK] Bible on Newt [was NIV]

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 13:53:34 EST

The Christian Bible (all original writings of such and any interpretations
(KJV) made prior to the advent of copyright laws *and* were never
copyrighted), and those interpretations older than (IIRC) 27 years (the
standard protection period of copyright) that have *not* been renewed to
current (RSV) can be used freely, ie are legally in the public domain.

However, interpretations of the Bible that have current copyright protection
(either original or renewed) cannot. The NIV interpretation falls into this
latter class.

So, while the original Bible itself cannot be owned or copyrighted, the
author's interpretation of the original work can, even though derivative.

Regards,

Gary