Re: [NTLK] VisorPhone serial number OT

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 23:52:20 EST

Well, like all "cell phones" the Visor Phone has an
Electronic Serial Number (also known as an ESN). This
ESN is coupled with your MIN (mobile identification
number) along with other newer "fingerprinting"
technology to allow your cellular device to make and
maintain calls. While "tumbling" is more difficult to
do today (reprogramming ESN/MIN pairs) it is still a
very common method of cellular fraud. It is not
unlikely for someone to have the ability to
field-program a cellular device to switch the esn/min
pairs at a moment's notice.
Being quite paranoid myself (those in the know, know
those who know) I would look upon this serial number
request with a questioning eye as to what he's going
to do with it. You might also do well to research and
discover if there is actually a valid need to
determine serial numbers for compatibility.
If you need more help with your paranoia, visit:
http://www.clede.com/Articles/Police/cellphn.htm
and
http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/CELLULAR/
(the second link is sketchy. It may not be up)
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- David Golden <ikondave_at_charter.net> wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> Sorry to be so OT here, but I know that I will get
> knowledgeable and helpful
> Visor and VisorPhone on
> ebay because I want one of Handspring's new Treos
> and I've decided to put my
> MP2100 back to work. A potential buyer wrote to ask
> me for my phone's serial
> number to determine if it will work with his current
> Visor. Perhaps I'm
> getting suspicious in my old age, but I'm not
> comfortable with that
> question, and I've responded by asking him to
> clarify his motivation. Am I
> just a paranoid old crank, or could there be some
> sort of nefarious intent?
> TIA.

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -