Re: [NTLK] OT: Adobe Type help

From: Grant [Lint Trap] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 17:18:50 EST

In a previous message, good-dog_at_northshore.net typed vigorously:

>I'm trying to decide about the appropriate Adobe Type package to
>purchase. Apparently there is something new called OpenType, which is a
>cross-platform typeface. The advantage is it works with both Mac and
>Windows, so when you go to a printer or send your work out, anyone can
>print with it. I'm not sure if this is a package deal or just individual
>type faces.

The Adobe OpenType fonts do not come as a package deal. You need to
purchase specific families of typefaces and quite frankly, the selection
is a bit thin at the moment. One issue with the OpenType format, is that
although in theory it is inherently cross-platform and a single file, you
need to be running software that knows how to take advantage of the
various features of OpenType. Currently, not many applications
(especially Mac-side) can do this.

>It's either that or go with some package like Type Basics, which
>includes 65 basic fonts plus type manager. These are available in Mac or
>Windows only.

If you are looking for a good basic starter set of PostScript typefaces,
the above Type Basics package is a good place to begin. Since you're
using a Mac, cross-platform issues shouldn't come into play. If you're
concerned about documents losing their typefaces and formatting when
transferring to Windows, use Adobe Acrobat to create cross-plaform PDF
files.

I can discuss this topic with you in more detail off-list if you like.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/