Re: [NTLK] Re - Power adapter and Sharp Expert Pad

From: Andrew Cunningham (acunningham_at_indy.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 17:01:30 EST

Mr. Gruendel:

Success is mine! I did a bit more reading on the expert pad and Newton power
adapters in general, and discovered that the milliamps on my 6v adapter were
way too low (300). Went back to the RadioShack and exchanged for an 800 mA
adapter, and the unit powered right up! Yippee! Here's the adpater I bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT
LG%5F004%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=273%2D1761

To answer your question, the unit did work with the battery pack initially,
so I knew all hope was not lost. Thank you for the link to the MP100
manual... I will take a look, although I doubt that ot is the same device. I
have mostly seen Japanese language pages for the Sharp expert pad, or
PI-7000, whatever you want to call it. Sharp USA no longer supports it (the
tech support couldn't find it in their database), even though the PI-7000
series sold 1,000,000 units in Japan!

As far as the adapta-plug, of which you said:

"The Newton plug is a special one that no generic adapter I've ever seen
has. It looks exactly like those on the adapter, but is in fact just a weeny
bit different."

Here's a link to the product that I purchased, which DOES seem to fit
perfectly:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT
LG%5F004%5F001%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=273%2D1706

Sorry for the confusion with the watts/volts nomenclature... all of this
stuff is Greek to me. I'm just psyched that I got it all to work! Now to see
if I can upgrade to Newton OS 2.0...

Thank you for your advice,

Andy Cunningham