Re: [NTLK] Power adapter and Sharp Expert Pad

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 16:59:14 EST

>Hello, List.

Sorry if this stuff has already been said, but I have not been able
to read the list that much this week, but your subject caught my eye,
as I have a pair of ExpertPads.

>I have a Sharp Expert Pad that I inherited a while back, and I'm having a
>heck of a time getting it to work with a DC power adapter of any kind. I
>ordered a 7 volt Newton adapter and it will not power up the unit.

Does it not power up at all, or does it power up and then shut itself
down immediately?

If it isn't coming on at all, you may have a bad adaptor. Have you
tried the adaptor on an OMP or MP100? They are internally identical
to the ExpertPad.

> I don't
>have manuals or documentation for the Expert Pad, but on the back of the
>device it says that the power source is 6 volts.

You can get the service manual for the OMP and ExpertPad on UNNA in
PDF form, but I don't recall what is says regarding this sort of
thing. I would check, but I have it on a Zip and my Zip drive is out
of commission at the moment. The PDF manual is just over forty megs,
if I remember correctly.

>So, I went to RadioShack
>and bought a generic 6v adapter and a plug adapter so that it would fit
>into the newton. Plug fit great, but unit would not power on. Changed
>polarity on the plug from positive to negative, still no luck. Hopefully I
>did not damage the unit through all of these failed attempts... but I am
>at my wits end here.

I recommend that you stay as far away from generic adaptors as you
possibly can. They don't always deliver the same amount of power as
they say. They can deliver in excess of forty percent more than they
say! I'd be careful with any Newt, but ExpertPads are especially
rare.

>Any suggestions from people who are familiar with the Expert Pad? I
>suppose I could try a 9 volt newton adapter... but I was scared that it
>might fry the unit (if I haven't already!)...

I don't think that there is a nine volt Newt adaptor. There is a
nine watt, if that is what you mean.

>Please help! You can reply to me at acunningham_at_indy.rr.com

I hope that helps. If you could give me more specifics, then I may
be able to help more.

>Thank you in advance,
>
>Andy Cunningham
>Indianapolis, IN
>(317) 722-0169

The James Elliott Newton Site:
http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
All work and no play makes James a dull boy and prevents this week's update.