Re: [NTLK] Re-Painting a Newton

From: Daniel Padilla (daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 18:47:18 EST

> Since I have this "spare" Newt now, I was thinking it might be fun to
> re-paint the case, maybe some sort of metallic silver or red.
>
> Has anyone done this? Does it look good? Bad? Any suggestions on how
> to go about it? Should I strip the existing paint first? Do I need to
> prime it? etc, etc...
>
> I searched the archives, and found a brief discussion of a blue Newton a
> while back, but couldn't find any further information or photos.

    I suppose that thread was about my newton. Yes, I've painted it in two
different colors, metallic silver first and a dark blue later.
It looks very well, but I only did it because the original coating was too worn.

    I'm not sure with the MP130, but for the MP2x00, you have to take out the
rubber coating before painting it. I did this by submerging every part of the
case separately in a nail polish remover (acetone) bath. Every part except the
interconnect door and the screen lid hinge. Those will melt as they are a
different plastic material.

    I didn't use a primer, just car painting spray. I painted a few other
things before the newton to get some practice. Spray painting is not so easy.

    There are some pictures here:

http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/images/misc/

Daniel Padilla