Re: [NTLK] NCU backup -1 errors - known fix?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 04:28:03 EST

> >> I'd bet cash money that the serializer is breaking on a malformed
> >> note. SuperNotePad may be able to make sense of it, or maybe it's
invisible,
> >> but when the serializer tries to break down its frame structure, it
> >> hits badness.
> > Interesting. I don't know what the 'serializer' is, but the rest of this
> > follow and it makes perfect sense as a hypothesis.
> I guess that the 'serializer' is the object or the engine that takes the
> data coming from the Newton and tries to put those data at the end of each
> other, in some sort of serial line, in a file, on the desktop.
Serializer is shurely not perfectly error proof design. There was only a
short time that NCU2.0 existed (remember, it was shipped as beta version
with the first MP2000). After a half year Apple, or was it already Newton
Inc., finished the beta and issued the final version and not long after
that the Newton was cancelled. So there was only two version which have been
tested by users and I don't know whether Apple listed to bug reports at all.
Simply said: the serializer inside the Newton and possibly also the
de-serializer or whatever you call it in NCU *are* buggy and can easily be
chocked.

I had error -1 crashes too with various sources, notes, dates, Works, ToDos,
Internet Setups and lately with the card backup too. In many cases it was
somehow possible to copy & paste the data into a fresh object and erase the
errorneous one, but e.g. the card backup had to be erased.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG