[NTLK] The Best Way to create a database for linguistics?

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 14:19:01 EST

Hi List,

I have a dream, and that dream includes me beeing able to learn stupid
boring facts with fun and ease. I hate stupid boring facts if they are
supposed to be just stupid boring facts and I am not allowed to play with
them.

Within my studies I encounter linguistics.

Lots of definitions, not much play on the entry-level.

I would like to compile the information from my papers & notes into an easy
database for the Newt, so I do not have to search in a book or through all
of the Newt's notes.

What would be the best way to do this?

As I have no usable programming skills (Thank you, school. I always knew
that TurboPascal would not get me anywhere), I thought of creating a big fat
list(tm) on the Mac, make it a NewtonBook, and search it via the internal
searching solution. I have done this with the Academic Word List, and it
works fairly well.
Very blunt, but easy to do. On the downside is that there would not be any
links (AFAIK), and I would clearly prefer something that is as elegant as
Lextionary.
Lextionary itself also contains some linguistic vocabulary, but not
everything I need, and I am also after the learning process of going over
all the stuff again.

Is there a free, easy to use database application that will allow linking?

What I basically need it to display is:
Word -> definition & example (and I would like to link from the def. part to
related words), just like Lextionary.

Any hints?

Oliver :)

--
"Fear is the path to the Dark side.  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to
hate, hate leads to suffering." -- Yoda, Jedi master.