Re: [NTLK] iWalk?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 15:41:51 EST

>On 1/4/02 @ 4:36 AM, Hans Johnson wrote:
>
>>- lines seem to wobble under the recognised text (but
>>could this be the video compression?)
>
>However, I do have a harder time reconciling where the
>writing is appearing on the screen, and where my mind
>thinks that the tip of the stylus should be.

I notice that there is a cursor point where the writing goes after it
converts it to text.

Works the same as the Newt, which is why it is so believeable to me.

>I've heard rumours that the button is supposed to be a
>jog shuttle thingy, like what you have on the iPod.

If you'll notice between films 1 and 2, the jog button has different
orientation.

Then in the third one, the user actually moves it to change the
orientation of the display. That function doesn't make sense after using
the Newt with a popup menu to select which way you want the screen to be.

>Oh well, lets hope that this is the rebirth of the Newton,
>but not hold our breaths.

Agree -- not holding here, but getting excited to see what Apple has up
her sleeve.

Here are the key items that make me think the iWalk might be a hoax:

- Bad case alignment (Unless it's an early prototype).

- Use of the Jog button to rotate the screen -- maybe I missed something.

- Stereo in jack, vice a built-in microphone. Both are okay. But you
need a built in microphone. I find it hard to believe Apple didn't
include one.

- Weird screen size (256x512). That's not QVGA, HVGA, or anything else
for that matter.

- Powerswitch location. Looks like it is too easy to accidently activate.

- Jog button is elevated and takes up too much space.

- Minimal color showing in the displays -- I would expect more.

- The port at the top of the device. What is the purpose? There are no
apparent connectors for external devices -- so why have it there? What
does it do? As for a sync connector, that position doesn't make sense
either.

- The case seems too squarish after seeing the iPod (again this maybe due
to an early prototype issue).

- Pen coming out of the bottom of the device. I know, think outside of
the box/different. I can just imagine the folks who will drop their pens.

Of course I could look on the positive side and figure that Apple put in
a 1.8 or 2.5 inch HD so there is plenty of space for the OS, apps, QT
videos, mp3's, etc., so you don't need a memory expansion slot. And that
the connector at the top is for a myriad of devices such as GPS, and the
like.

Oh well...three days and counting...

Sushi