Re: [NTLK] iWalk is a good thing - Getting Long

From: aaron.hill_at_au.pwcglobal.com
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 20:47:37 EST

> How long can they ignore a potential market like this? How does forever
> sound? (Not good, but certainly possible)
>
> Apple doesn't make PDA's any more than they make televisions or cars.
How
> long can they ignore the potential market of TV and car buyers.
>
> Apple's stated policy is that they make Macintosh Computers & Mac OS to
go
> with those computers, and that's it. Other products, like a pdas or
> palmtops are not what they do.

Loren,

I understand your point entirely, it's a very reasonable point of view and
no doubt it's shared by some people at Apple. The further we travel from
the MessagePads demise without Apple releasing another Newton based product
the more I fear that this view will be ultimately correct but here's a few
points why I hope it isn't ...

- Apple doesn't make PDAs, that sits quite comfortably with me. We could
get tangled up in semantics but hopefully most people here would agree that
the MessagePad isn't a PDA, it is a handheld computer. Sure you can use the
MessagePad simply as an electronic note pad and diary but it's capable of
much more, the functionality and intent of the Newton technology should
leave you with no doubt about that. Therefore any successor to the
MessagePad wouldn't be a PDA either. The MessagePad is a computer and Apple
makes computers.

- Apple made a statement when they discontinued the MessagePad that it was
being done so Apple could concentrate on the Macintosh operating system,
here's the PR for anyone who would like to see it ...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1998/feb/27newton.html

The loss of the MessagePad was a blow to me but I could understand the
reason of the decision both then and now. I'm not fanatical like some but I
do like Apple and I want them to continue on and if that means they had to
drop Newton development then so be it. But that was then and this is now.
Mac OS X is out now, it's stable and apparently the avalanche of 3rd party
products for it is almost here. It took a bit longer than originally
planned but they've done it. What now?

- I understand the official line when Apple dropped the Newton development
was that the technology was for sale for the right price. But when someone
came up with the $$$ Apple declined the offer because they had plans for
the technology.

I think when you invest so much time and money into a technology that you
can end up with a "Goose that laid the golden egg" scenario and that is
where Apple seems to be with Newton. Sure they could sell the technology
and get back a nice chunk of the money they invested into it but the real
return on investment is to put the technology to use for themselves. How
much longer before they do this? A lot of people, myself included, believe
the Newton technology is still better than what you can find on todays
market but obviously this won't last forever. If Apple are going to get
some return on investment with Newton they had better start doing something
soon.

- As you very correctly point out Apple are no longer "just" a producer of
Macs. The iPod isn't for me but I'm not critical of it, I think it shows
Apples unique flair to take a plain product and make it an object of
desire. If they're not afraid to experiment with a MP3 player then they're
obviously open to ideas of what the "next big thing" might be or simply
what will bring more people to the Mac.

As Apple and a lot of computer manufacturers admit the role of the PC is
rapidly changing. You don't need a PC to play games or surf the web anymore
but the PC still has a role to play if it's positioned correctly and I
believe this is what Apple has grasped better than most. If no-one else
will make the digital "spokes" that Apple wants to be the hub of then they
may have to do it themselves.

Did you see Steve Jobs state how much respect Apple has for Sony at the
MacWorld in Tokyo? I believe Steve was being quite honest about this, Sony
is quite a remarkable company. Video players? Walkmans? Cameras? Phones?
Robot Dogs? Professional Gear? Yep, if it's viable and relevant Sony will
have a shot at it and probably do very well. I can't see Apple being a full
blown electronics producer just yet but I think we can expect similar
things from them in a Mac oriented way.

Sorry for such a long email. The ultimate point I'm trying to make is it is
not naive to believe Apple will make another handheld, Newton based device.

Aaron

.
computer.