Re: [NTLK] iWalk is a good thing - Getting Long

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 00:39:48 EST

On 1/4/02 8:47 PM, "aaron.hill_at_au.pwcglobal.com"
<aaron.hill_at_au.pwcglobal.com> wrote:

>> How long can they ignore a potential market like this? How does forever
>> sound? (Not good, but certainly possible)
>>
>> Apple doesn't make PDA's any more than they make televisions or cars.
> How
>> long can they ignore the potential market of TV and car buyers.
>>
>> Apple's stated policy is that they make Macintosh Computers & Mac OS to
> go
>> with those computers, and that's it. Other products, like a pdas or
>> palmtops are not what they do.
>
> Loren,
>
> I understand your point entirely, it's a very reasonable point of view and
> no doubt it's shared by some people at Apple. The further we travel from
> the MessagePads demise without Apple releasing another Newton based product
> the more I fear that this view will be ultimately correct but here's a few
> points why I hope it isn't ...

Just one thing. For the record, as it were. This is not my point of view,
as you put it. I was simply stating the situation as I understand it to be.
It is not my preference, nor my choice. I can't say I believe Apple was
wrong to kill the Newton, as it was part of a strategy that turned the then
struggling company around. But on a personal level, I hate that they did
it, and am glad to see that they are straying from the Mac only point of
view.

> - Apple doesn't make PDAs, that sits quite comfortably with me. We could
> get tangled up in semantics but hopefully most people here would agree that
> the MessagePad isn't a PDA, it is a handheld computer. Sure you can use the
> MessagePad simply as an electronic note pad and diary but it's capable of
> much more, the functionality and intent of the Newton technology should
> leave you with no doubt about that. Therefore any successor to the
> MessagePad wouldn't be a PDA either. The MessagePad is a computer and Apple
> makes computers.

Ok, one more thing. Apple actually coined the term PDA, as I recall. And I
think it describes the MessagePad perfectly. It is a Digital Assistant.
The only thing better is a real live assistant. :-)

All the things out on the market now that are called PDA's. HMPH! That's
what I say. Most of them are just glorified organizers.

Loren