Re: [NTLK] [OT] Guess the product announcement!

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 09:35:46 EST

My best guess in relation to the StarTrek hint is that Apple will come
up with some communications device. Another possibility may be voice
recognition related or maybe a pen computer, but I'd think a comms
device is more likely.

Some time ago I read that Apple was working on a telephony/video
conferencing software.

I have discussed in various online forums how the combination of WiFi
with VoIP and cordless telephony could revolutionise mobile telephony
and I always thought that Apple was best placed to come up with such a
combo device.

The idea is this ...

Imagine an airport that is not only a data hub but also a cordless phone
base. Imagine a telephony software on a Mac that appears to the airport
like a cordless phone. Imagine a special cordless phone like device that
is also acting like a portable airport "modem". Imagine you could use
this device to make phone calls either through a regular phone line or
through a VoIP portal. Maybe a video cam integrated for video telephony.
Yes, over the public internet you may not have the bandwidth to make
efficient use of it all, but on the LAN or within the same city between
two broadband connected ends this could work rather well.

I have always argued that if many many restaurants, cafes, hotels etc
etc will deploy WiFi to eventually cover most of the heavily frequented
down-town areas of big cities, then it would only be a matter of time
that someone will offer voice portals so users can make cheap (in return
for low quality) calls at those places using notebooks with some
telephony software. Eventually this could set the stage for mobile phone
manufacturers to come up with custom VoIP devices that connect to their
service portal over WiFi while their users are sitting in a downtown
cafe or in an office.

The catch here is that none of the wireless companies are interested to
see any voice services to be delivered through low cost technologies
like WiFi that do not require any spectrum license because they have
poured billions into all that 3G overkill. It would be up to an outsider
to make a move.

So, my best guess is that Apple may come up with something closely or
distantly related to wireless communications, perhaps with some VoIP
facility, perhaps building upon the Airport concept.

I don't buy any of that iWalk fuzz which I believe to be a hoax.

rgds
bk