Re: [NTLK] [OT] Guess the product announcement!

From: Michael Whitten (mime_at_home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 10:31:04 EST

Be and Palm will create an operating system that runs on StrongARM if my
information is correct. This creates something of another problem the WinCE
had/has? Compatibility between internal products.

Take for example the WinCE 1.0/2.0 fiasco. (Oh, here is this insanely great
program. You must have a HPC with an SH3 Processor. Oh, You have a PPC with
a SH3? HPC with MIPS? PPC with MIPS? HPC/Pro? Tablet? Won't run.) I used to
own a Nino 330 (PPC WinCE) and a Casio Cassiopeia (WinCE 1.0) before I got
my Palm III. It was a nightmare. There was never the correct architecture
and/or processor so you could run the greatest program ever developed.

If Palm has the new Be for Palm developed, it MUST have a compatibility
layer for the older software. Why? Most programmers are somewhat lazy. (Not
all but, most.) They really don't want to update their code unless there is
a tangible problem with it. (Money involved not withstanding) I used to be a
CS major until last week. :)

Why do you not want to create another platform...
It causes software companies to have to train for a new system they do not
yet know will be commercially viable, this costs money. What happens if the
product tanks? They lose money. Apple does not have the market share in the
PDA world to have developers develop for an untested platform.

Michael W.