Re: [NTLK] mpk21 to ethernet: D-link DE-660CT Combo useful ?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 14:06:54 EST

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Stefan Hassenstein wrote:

> i have been visiting this url over and over again.
> > Check out http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/
> > Howto and supported ethernet cards, I guess yours is there.
> > Radek
>
> and this is my second attempt in purchasing
> an adaequate PCMIA....
> at first attempt i got a 3COM something Combo and
> it didn=B4t worked.

That's because no combo cards will work. There aren't drivers for any of
them, and they never enumerate themselves as either network cards or
modems on the PCMCIA bus, so the Newton gets confused.

> So...knowing that this list is of high level knowledge....
> and there might be some guy who had this specific card.
> (i wanted to be sure before i pay)
>
> BTW: the D-Link DE-660CT Combo isn=B4t mentioned in that URL,
> only the DE-650 and the DE-660+

The "CT" designation only refers to the cable connector that comes with
the card - the CT uses a dongle with connectors for either RJ-45 UTP cable
(10BaseT) or coaxial ThinNet (10Base2). I own this card and it works just
great in my Newt.

> but i agree with you...that this given URL is of best help
> for beginners and experienced...(only in my special case: not for me)

Thanks :)

--=20