Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 02:48:01 EST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 06:15 , Ed Kummel wrote:

> If your computer guys can't recover your drive, it is
> more likely a problem with their lack of motivation or
> their lack of knowledge as opposed to there not being
> a way to do it.

That was one of my points. These days the majority of so called
professionals are either certified ignorants or wannabees.

The MediocreSoft - brute force - who cares about 50000 bugs - that
doesn't matter - philosophy has coerced almost the entire planet into
being sloppy.

These days, it is just restart or reinstall why bother. And everybody
now has the perfect excuse for things not being done properly "There was
a problem with the computer".

If you had cash being paid out in a bank being stopped because of a
computer being down in the 60s or 70s that would have been inacceptable
and might have triggered a run on that bank. Everybody would have agreed
that such a bank deserves to go out of business.

In the 60s you would have been fired if your only excuse for not
delivering some piece of work had been a broken tool. And rightly so!!!

Today, no matter what happens, "Ah its something with the computers, Oh
well then it's OK".

I call this a social virus and it is incredible how it has infected
society's spirit. Where people were once proud of their work there is
now a general sloppiness and nothing we can do about it mentality.

Ten years ago, when I was pointing out problems with the desktop
platform replacing professional equipment, the proponents still
acknowledged and their line was that in time it will improve and someone
was already working on making it as good as the stuff that was to be
replaced.

Today, this has vanished. Today, proponents simply insist on there being
no problems and if they are caught with a problem that they cannot
ignore then they insist on in being unavoidable and that we should
better get used to it.

I promise you that this will one day become part of the social science
curriculum and it will be studied by scholars. It will become a legacy
of our time that once overcome will make us look as stupid and ignorant
as the forefathers we look down to because of their wrong doings such as
inquisition, slavery, child-labour, colonial and racial ignorance, the
McCarthy anti-communist histeria, ecologic irresponsibility etc etc etc.

> And taking the automobile analogy to it's logical
> point, if you purchase a Cadilac with the Northstar
> system, they recommend that your first scheduled
> maintenance not occur before 100,000 miles. They say
> that if you have unscheduled maintenance before that
> time that it will void your warrantee!

Even though I don't quite understand what you point is, the difference
is however, that cars which tend to break down a lot more often than
others are either being fixed even recalled and may eventually disappear
because nobody continues to buy them as there is enough competition and
choice.

In the computer industry almost everybody is buying the lemons and those
vendors who deliver quality are more and more being pushed out of the
market by a monopoly that has brainwashed the masses that their crap is
in fact worth while paying money for even with 50000 bugs and without
anything getting fixed.

Why is it that people have to use grafitti on a Palm or Palm like device
and they believe they have the latest technology while a far far
superior system, the Newton, had already been invented 10 years ago and
almost four years after it has been discontinued there is still nothing
that could replace it. It couldn't possibly be weight and size and lack
of color because within four years those things could have been further
developed. Again, the masses are brainwashed that the shitty stuff is
hi-tech and good for them.

It's not unlike that new movie that came out recently where one guy
falls in love with what he sees as a gorgeous girl because of a spell,
while in reality she has a figure resembling that of an elephant. The
only difference is that in the movie it is one guy who doesn't see the
real thing and within technology it is the crowd who is under a spell
not to be able to see how backwards everything really is.

rgds
bk