Re: [NTLK] Using a Kodak portable printer

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 23:02:21 EST

>Hi All
>
>Has anyone any experience or advice about using a Kodak Dikonix printer with
>a Newton 2100. I have a suitable serial cable and dongle but presumably I
>need a driver. I can print very nicely to a stylewriter 2 but the Dikonix
>which is small and light, would be very useful to use when I visit Tanzania
>and want to carry as little as possible.

You can print to the Diconix Model 150 (the model I have) using the "Epson
FX" printer driver from the "print pack 2.0" driver additions.

You can download the printpack 2.0 software from www.unna.org or other
places; you also need a "printpack" cable to go from the mac serial of the
Newton, to the parallel port of the Kodak printer.
Unless your model has a mac serial, too? That would be handy.

Kodak ink carts were a pretty good deal at www.onpapersupplies.com; I'd
read that people use generic carts for this printer without issues, but am
not sure where best to find those.

The DIP switches (all 10) on mine are "down"; it was a little card to find
the DIP switch settings for this; if I did find them, it's on a CD-R
somewhere and I can look if you need them.

The big rechargeables I got for it, haven't been used since 9-2001, and
they just fired up and printed great when I tested now. I'd also pull the
ink cart off and wrap it in parafilm or something if you are going
somewhere hot.

If you don't have a model 150, which model do you have? I like this one a
lot, but were I to take it on a trip for more than intermittent use, I'd
buy it some tractor fed paper. I'm not talented enough to sheet feed
squarely, repeatedly.