Re: [NTLK] Warning: 20 MB Cards Recently on eBay

From: Christopher Richmond (crichmond_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 22:58:51 EST

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 10:20 PM, Larry R. Chan wrote:
> I bought one of those 32 MB Pretecs from GEM,
> The 32 MB are
> probably from the same source as the 2100s they are
> selling/auctioning...from some vertical market user, my Pretec had what
> looked like a proprietary pkg on it called Northstar.

I'll second that. I bought 2 of the cards from GEM and
both hada Northstar compass package on them. The cards
seemed to be named for the persons that used them.
I did a little digging (via google) and found the following
article:

http://198.112.59.30/home/features.nsf/All/980720rc5

Apparently, Northstar compass was a pharmaceutical
ordering/tracking application. I've tried running the application,
but I keep getting an error stating that the software cannot
handle the current date. I've tried changing the date back
to 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999, but I keep getting the same
error. Some of the buttons indicate syncing and replicating
capabilities for the application. Looks pretty sophisticated.

I've erased one of the cards (needed the space), but the
other card still has the application on it.

Chris