Re: [NTLK] dead card port

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 20:32:58 EST

On Monday 21 January 2002 06:27 pm, you wrote:
> sorry gang. i posted this yesterday, but (silly me)
> didn't change the subject heading.
>
> My UMP2000 has decided to not recognize cards in the
> upper slot. Has this happened to anyone? - is there a
> software fix or is it hardware? Should I just piggy-back
> on the $150 newts?
>
> Please help - my marks are due soon and Clarity (bless
> it's soul) randomly (seemingly) scatters it's data all
> over and between internal memory and any cards that were
> in at the time. (argh!)
>
> thanks a bunch!

I had this problem and it turned out that one of the pins
on the PC card slot had been forced back out the inside end
of the slot, breaking the solder joint. To fix it, I had to
open the newt, use a large needle to reposition the pin
(took a bit of force, IIRC) and then delicately re-solder
the connection...

Probably not helpful given your current circumstances, but
that's my story...

-Aron