[NTLK] 2100s for Europe

From: mark d smith (markds_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 07:02:17 EST

chris searles wrote:

>> Out of despair for getting a few 2100s, I'm now prepared to get a
>> batch of 10 since it's all that's avavilable to us French addicts.
>> Would you be so kind as to clear the money and resend the package
>> to me ? Of course, the shipping goes to me as well as some handling
>> for your efforts.
>> Please let me know if you're ready to play that game.
>> Then I'd take 2-3 out of the package for my usage and make the
>> others available at no additional cost to French (or European)
>> amateurs. Wow - $1500 ? - a lot of money.
>> Thank you in advance,
>> G.E.
>
> Now I'm confused. Who is ordering units for who in Europe? I'd like
> to be in on the deal (Germany) and I've heard from two different
> people who are offering to arrange shipments to Europe, Mark Ross
> and Bill Shamam, the latter of who I've only received a somewhat
> cryptic message from asking what the best way would be to ship the
> units and then later no reply. In other words, G=E9rard, if you can
> arrange something and are willing to forward the unit to Germany,
> I'll pitch in with you (assuming Mark is still going to do it).
> Otherwise, maybe Bill could reply to everyone on his list again
> giving a somewhat more definite status than: "Now I'm back from
> holiday." (Sorry for sounding so cynical but that's what happens
> when information on such a topic isn't kept up to date on a regular
> basis. There are also some of us, like me I'm sure, who are anxious
> to know if the whole thing's going to work out and if it's still
> worth waiting for.)

I was/am also confused. However, things appear to be getting clearer
and I believe I mainly confused myself. So, apologies to Bill Shaman if
my emails have been giving him a headache.

My current understanding is that Bill has kindly offered to act as an
intermediate for those of us in Europe who wish to take advantage of
the 150 dollar offer. The single units have gone so Bill has to make
sure that he gathers at least 10 takers at a time in order to purchase
a 10-pack. Right Bill?

Here in Germany, Ralf Neerfeld is leading the effort to gather
sufficient folks to "order" from Bill so anybody wishing to to join up
should contact Ralf:

Ralf.Neerfeld_at_alldata.de

(or me and I'll forward to Ralf)

I do not see any reason why only people in Germany can join up (those
EC citizens living elsewhere would have to reckon with higher postage
costs and a slight delay) but, as I say, Ralf is the man.

Hope I've got this right and that its helpful,

mark.