Re: [NTLK] Newbie with Internet questions

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 16:40:21 EST

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:56:21 +0100
> From: Chris Searles <csearles_at_netcologne.de>
>
>> I too own an eMate, and I have to say
>> that even over a cable modem, trying to browse the web with an eMate is
>> an exercise in frustration. If you really want to try, though, NetHopper
>> seems like a well-designed program, and it is serving my father well on
>> his 2100.
>
> Something I've always wanted to ask and this seems like an opportune
> time: How does a Newt with a browser such as NetHopper (which is probably
> about 5 years old) deal with all the Java, Javascript and other such
> stuff that normally requires you using at least IE 5 or Netscape 4.7?

the short answer is that they don't.

Newt's Cape has some support for frames;
I never got around to CSS (cascading style sheets) -- though you can
accomplish a lot of that by just changing the Appearance prefs for various
tags. it can handle Java applets if they happen to use only the Waba subset
(and you've got Waba VM installed). I've got some example pages that use
both JavaScript and NewtonScript (Newt's Cape ignores the JavaScript and
executes the NewtonScript version).

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com