Re: [NTLK] [OT] Avi's Backdrop wallpaper images

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 13:53:39 EST

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 12:06 , Lou Forlini wrote:

> At 9:48 PM -0800 1/27/02, Ed Kummel wrote:
>> In Victorian times, when people
>> were visiting th Egyptian ruins or the Pompei ruins,
>> sculptures and mosaics that had been standing for
>> thousands of years, depicting the god Osiris (god of
>> fertility, whose main distinction was an erect phalus)
>
> Ed,
>
> I think you are confusing Osiris, Lord of the Dead, with Min, God
> of Fertility. Min is the one who is depicted as you describe
> (although there was that one incident after Osiris's death...)

Yeah, I would imagine that Osiris is very rarely, if ever, depicted
cum pudendum, as it was eaten by a fish when Set cut him into
thirteen pieces. ( And why, as I understand it, Egyptians didn't
[don't?] like fish - and why they rarely show up in hieroglyphic
art ).

Zac "Indiana" Jones - ( well, I did go to IU, and I did almost get
a Folklore degree )