Re: [NTLK] Increasing font size in books

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 16:12:57 EST

> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:40:42 -0700
> From: "Grant [Intermittent] Hutchinson" <grant_at_splorp.com>
>

> In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed vigorously:
>
>>> Does anyone know how to increase the font size in Newton books? I am having
>>> difficulty reading the small type on many of the books I have downloaded on
>>> my MP2100....the first books I downloaded were the Lord of the Rings trilogy
>>> and I was able to increase the font style and size for greater ease of
>>> reading on those (yes,I have old, tired eyes that need as much help as
>>> possible). Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Not without recompiling the book in Newton Press, no. Books aren't very
>> flexible in that respect.
>
> I don't suppose that the font style and point size is stored is some
> logical spot within the book is it? I'm not clear on what the structure
> of a compiled Newton book looks like, but could you use something like
> ViewFrame to find the location of the information and then write a system
> patch that allowed you to change it?

it is possible to locate the font info -- but if you could patch it in all
the places that there were font changes, the text might overlap subsequent
paragraphs or be clipped on bottom of screen (there are also coordinates in
there; it's not just one big chunk of text as in Paperback).

another option is to export the book to HTML (e.g., via Newt's Cape), then
re-create the book in a different orientation/page size, and also assign
different fonts to tags.

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com