[NTLK] Re - repairs

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 19:32:34 EST

> I've got a trusty old Newton 100 which I left charging
> for a few days. When I came back to it the battery had "drooled" and
> Newty (yes, thats the name) doesn't switch on any longer. I took it
> apart and cleaned as much as I safely could but with no result. Newty is
> still off.... :-(

An amazing amount of Newtons have come back to the PDA world alive
and healthy after their owners followed the procedure explained on
the MP130 disassembly page in the hardware section of www.pda-soft.de.

> Does anyone know where I can repair him? Where would I have to send him?

Basically there are two good places and one unprofessional one:

Good 1: Apple used to fix MP's for a flat fee of $180. Not really an option
I'm afraid.

Good 2: Dr. Newton. Fast, excellent and professional service, but to the
best of my
knowledge he doesn't do MP100's. URL is at the bottom of the page mentioned
above.

Unprofessional: Send it to me along with the money for shipping it back and
I can have
a look at it. Looking is free, if I can fix it, we can probably work
something out.

Frank

> I'd really like to get him up and going again...

Just for the record: You are still talking about the Newton, right?

> Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong... but normal batteries don't work in
> the Newton 100.

Yes, they do. You need a battery holder for 4 AAA size cells. I've recently
seen those for next
to nothing at http://store.yahoo.com/repc/newbathol.html (search for
Newton).

> It's got a black battery pack and there are no contacts
> for normal batteries...

Might be dead. This happens frequently with these old packs. If one cell is
defective, resetting
the MP might steer it in a deep coma which the procedure outlined on the
page mentioned
above can help it out of very often.

> I'm thinking on buying a 2100... is it a good upgrade from the 100?

In terms of speed it is as if you were trading a donkey for a space rocket.
In terms of screen size it's 480x320 as opposed to 334 x 240 on your MP100.
Plus other goodies like two card slots, backlight, Ethernet capability, ...

Cheers

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de