Re: [NTLK] Couple of Problems

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 21:45:10 EST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Stephen Jendraszak wrote:

> This is the only question I have an answer for. You should be able to
> update your OMP to Newton OS 1.3. I'm not sure where you FIND that
> update now, but my guess is that unna.org would be a good place to
> start. At that point, any programs you have that require 1.3 should work
> fine, and though I remember my own search for an email program and/or
> browser that would work in 1.3 a few years ago was unsuccessful, you may
> find something now. However, it is true that the OMP cannot use Ethernet
> cards. No way, no how, as I understand it. Ethernet requires Newton
> Internet Enabler 2, which in turn requires a MessagePad 2x00 or eMate.

This is totally false and 100% incorrect. (Well, sorry to be harsh, but
it is). You cannot upgrade an OMP to OS 1.3. OMPs shipped with one of
two ROM versions: 1.0 or 1.1. You can patch these to 1.0.5 (if you have
1.0 ROMs) or 1.1.1 (if you have 1.1 ROMs). 1.0.5 and 1.1.1 are roughly
equivalent, but 1.0.5 is actually newer. You should read all about this
wacky numbering scheme in the FAQ:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIA2