Re: [NTLK] Couple of Problems

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 13:35:28 EST

On 28/01/02 21:45, "Victor Rehorst" <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Stephen Jendraszak wrote:
>
>> This is the only question I have an answer for. You should be able to
>> update your OMP to Newton OS 1.3. I'm not sure where you FIND that
>> update now, but my guess is that unna.org would be a good place to
>> start. At that point, any programs you have that require 1.3 should work
>> fine, and though I remember my own search for an email program and/or
>> browser that would work in 1.3 a few years ago was unsuccessful, you may
>> find something now. However, it is true that the OMP cannot use Ethernet
>> cards. No way, no how, as I understand it. Ethernet requires Newton
>> Internet Enabler 2, which in turn requires a MessagePad 2x00 or eMate.
>
> This is totally false and 100% incorrect. (Well, sorry to be harsh, but
> it is). You cannot upgrade an OMP to OS 1.3.

Actually, I think you could. An OMP to an MP100, running NOS 1.3. I did back
then. But you had to send it to Apple that was then performing the upgrade,
which was replacing the ROM...

-Laurent.

fat-finger vt.: 1. To introduce a typo while editing in such a way that the
resulting manglification of a configuration file does something useless,
damaging, or wildly unexpected. "NSI fat-fingered their DNS zone file and
took half the net down again." 2. More generally, any typo that produces
dramatically bad results.