Re: [NTLK] e-Mate Hell

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 00:59:05 EST

Ryan,

I had the same problem! I do not know for sure what caused it.

It may be co-incidence, but I had been experimenting with ATA support (which
I think one version a while back had a disliking for eMates) and I had
ignored all the warnings and stuck a PCMCIA type III hard drive into the
slot, to play with ATA support.

(Which by the way, worked for about 15 minutes. I made a partition, coppied
some packages onto it, was able to view them, launched one, then shortly
afterwards it came to a grinding crash and the PCMCIA hard drive was
erased.)

I do not know that the ATA support had anything to do with the Error 4, I
only mention it because the two occurances happened to me around the same
time. I couldn't find out what Error 4 was either, but it felt like it had
something to do with power (obviously).

The resets and Error 4's started happening faster and faster. Backup your
eMate while you can!!!

Then do a Brain-Wipe reset (see the FAQ), then you can do a restore from
your backup.

Good luck!

-Stephanie