Re: [NTLK] Connecting MPs with localtalk

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 17:11:02 EST

On 31/01/02 16:50, "William Pence" <bill_pence_at_mac.com> wrote:

> This is not exactly correct. In fact (as I have done in the past) you
> CAN run localtalk AND
> phone on the same 4 wire setup. I was using 'phonenet' which uses the
> OUTER pair for
> localtalk, and the localtalk boxes I used (cheap phonenet clones)
> connect ALL wires. So, what I had was:
> phone on inner wires, and localtalk on outer wires. worked very well.
> but I have since moved to ethernet across the board.
>
> the wires were:
> black
> reg
> green
> yellow
>
> I think, and the red/green were phone line (line 1)
> and yellow/black for localtalk (and would be phone line 2 if I had a 2nd
> phone line...)
>

> On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 07:54 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> wrote:
>

>> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:06:24 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Connecting MPs with localtalk
>> From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
>>

>> On 28/01/02 16:56, "Mike Hamende" <mhamende_at_tsl.state.tx.us> wrote:
>>

>>> I am Linux and windows when I hafta kind a guy, so please excuse my MAC
>>> ignorance, but Newtons are very cool.
>>>
>>> In reading the FAQs and the list archives, as well as talking to some
>>> local MAC folk, I have some to believe you could connect x number of
>>> Newts together using those localtalk dongle things that have the Newt
>>> serial on one end and a box with phone jacks in the other.
>>>
>>> Is this true?
>>>
>>> Plug the localtalk thing into the serial port and a phone line into the
>>> other and chain some newts into a network?
>>>
>>> Pointers to specifics are most welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Yes, you can chain Newton using LocalTalk connectors pretty easily. You
>> cannot mix LocalTalk, which is a cabling for a network, with a phone
>> line,
>> which implies a modem and then a serial connection.
>>
>> -Laurent.

When talking about LocalTalk connectors, I was talking about Apple's
LocalTalk connectors. You are talking about Farallon's PhoneNet connectors
which, as their name implies, use regular phone cabling (although not the
same wires then the phone)...

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).