Re: [NTLK] New accelerator idea. needs no crystal. Need Help.

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 11:08:39 EDT

Dear Mr. PCBman,
I cannot agree in full to what you stated, because
after looking into the reference manual I found
that the internal core clock called DCLK is well synchronized to the bus
interface domain clock MCLK if the processor is running in SnA mode.
This mode eliminates the need of a second clock generator for the bus
interface. So the MCLK is derived from the common 3,57 MHz CLK input.
Since there is a PLL to generate the high frequency core clock, there is a
fixed relation between DCLK and MCLK by definition.
And the SA-110 is even able to switch the core clock between DCLK and MCLK
(coprocessor register 15)
And btw., I cannot see the point why this has been implemented if you cannot
use it?

Since you can also control the ration between DCLK and MCLK (divide by 2 ..
9)by means of the MCCFG setting, the IO clock can also be adjusted.

And now we are back to the question why this was not done in the first
place:
acording to the manual there are certain selection types for certain max.
clock frequencies. It may be true that there was a financial aspect to chose
the lower performance selection types or to be absolutely sure, maybe a
power consumption aspect played a role as well ...
And in my opinion: when we all agreed that it is possible to overclock the
Newt "externally" why this should not work as well with changing the
settings for the PLL???

From an engineering point of view this would be the smartest solution, would
it not? But of course in the light of realization it is much more scary to
diconnect and reconnect single pins from the SA-110...

I am looking forward to read your comment.

Johannes