Re: [NTLK] [OT] Trolls and black holes

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 09:04:55 EDT

{Cleaned up the subject line... Has anyone traced the origin of the whole
'subject line appended with the "in reply to" line and containing
quoted-printable' problem??}

on 7/9/02 11:45 PM, Rgdtad_at_aol.com at Rgdtad_at_aol.com wrote:

> Actually, physicists have determined that some black holes might be
> donught-shaped, so they do have hair in the context that "black holes have no
> hair" was originally written (See Technology Review, I forgot which issue).

The donut-shaped (i.e., rotating) BH doesn't translate to "hair". Two BH of
identical mass, spin and charge are indistinguishable and there's not really
any conceivable way you could distinguish between them.

> They have figured out how to make one, but it would require more energy than
> the US produces to make one that should last for an infinitesimal amount of
> time.

It is *suspected* that, based upon some theories, that particle accelerator
experiments could possibly produce an infinitesimal BH. This BH would
"evaporate" in the Hawking radiation sense in an almost immeasurably short
time. But, they would provide a unique experimental signature.

> On a black hole related note, it has also been theoretically proven that most
> black holes are smaller than protons and that if you give one of any mass
> enough time, it will dissipate.

Careful there... I believe you're referring to the Planck scale. That's
just a combination of the gravitational and quantum constants that indicates
the size regime where it is expected that a quantum gravity theory will be
necessary to explain the physics. Nothing is really "proven" by that.
Until someone comes up with a good grand unified theory, or at least a good
way of calculating strong nuclear forces in highly curved spacetime, there's
no real way to prove just what happens inside a BH.

- Eric.