Re: [NTLK] article

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 11:55:12 EDT

>On 7/10/02 10:46 PM, Jaso Stechele wrote:
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2871928,00.html
>dont know if its been posted here or not...

Interesting article.

Funny how the story changes over the years...

As the article states:

>While the Newton marked the beginning of the PDA era,
>the handwriting recognition that Apple promised never
>managed to live up to the hype, and was one of the
>factors that led to the eventual demise of the product.

Sure the early Newts had some problems in this arena. My 110 suffered a
bit.

However, over the years Apple improved HWR considerably.

IMHO the HWR on Newt 2K series is pretty damn good.

...heck, it will even recognize Tech Ed's scratches! ;-)

The real test will be to see how well Jaguar works. It was a brilliant
move by SJ to ensure that the Newt stayed under Apple as one of it's
crown jewels...thankfully.

I don't think that it will be all that long before we see another Pen
type computer from Apple running Pen X.

This time however, it looks like Apple has learned from their mistakes
and is taking it one incremental step at a time. And soon, we will be
able to play/experiment with Ink! :-)

Sushi