Re: [NTLK] Apps and soups

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 16:49:56 EDT

On 15/07/02 16:17, "Steven Rogers" <stevenr_at_metrocast.net> wrote:

> Hello List,
> I just got a 2100 and am very excited. It came loaded with software
> (IRobex and a bunch of others) and some of these are on a 32 mb flash card.
> The problem is, all these programs have the previous owner's stuff and
> preferences, and I want to start out fresh. To add to this problem, I do
> not have the disks for all the software, it's all on the Newton. So my
> question is, how do I get all the software onto a flash card so I can do a
> hard reset of the Newton and still have the apps later on, and also, will
> the software still remain functional (it's all registered right now).
> Thanks.

You can open Extras, then select all items you want to move. Finally, tap
the "Filing" button at the lower right of the screen (it has the picture of
a folder on it). When you tap on it, you will get a dialog that will show
you where the package is currently stored and you'll have the ability to
move it to any store that is available to the Newton.

If you erase the internal memory, which would be a recommended step when
getting a used Newton, you will loose all preferences and most likely, all
the registration info. Further, a lot of Newton packages use the owner name
to generate a unique registration code, so even if you get the codes, they
might not work anymore when you put your name as the owner.

Again, maybe those apps don't have a registration process. If you provide
the full name of those packages, maybe someone on the list will be able to
give you a little head-up as to whether a specific package uses a
registration number or not.

-Laurent.