Re: [NTLK] WSJ article on shrinking warranties and disposable products

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 08:37:41 EDT

>On 7/17/02 @ 1:08 PM, Jim Witte wrote:
>
>There was an interesting article in the wall street journal yesterday
>(Friday) about how companies are mere stingy when it cones to warranty
>periods and how products today break so often. An example given was TV
>sets: in the 1970s, a TV set could be expected to last 12 years. Now, the
>average TV set is replaced after 2 or 3 (though we've had ours I think for
>4 now so we're ahead of the curve!).

Wow, I guess I am lucky. My TV was purchased in 1984 -- making it 18
years old. It's been from Korea to Alabama, to Kansas and now to Japan.
At each one of these locations, it was moved 2 or three times when I
changed residences.

It's still going strong!

It's a Sony -- their first stereo TV model.

My Panasonic VCR that I purchased at the same time, finally died about a
year and a half ago. I miss that VCR. No copy protection...unlike the
new one... :-(

Sushi