Re: [NTLK] Getting a picture on my MP?

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 08:17:01 EDT

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 03:13, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:
> >I want to get an illustration onto my MP u2k, preferrably in such a
> > state that I can paste it into a Notes or Works document. Do I have to
> > make a newtonbook out of it or is there a more convenient (i.e.:
> > direct) way to get it there?
>
> Put a .gif or .jpeg image up on a Web or FTP site and download it to the
> Newton with Newt'sCape or NewtFTP. If NewtFTP, save to the inbox. Open
> the image in Newt'sCape, and "Save as book to NewtWorks". You can then
> copy/paste the image to Notes or Works papers.

I don't have access to web or FTP space, but I do have network cards in my
Newt and my pc. I'm going to look into making an FTP connection to a linux
computer (it really is new stuff for me).

> You can resize the image by pasting into a Works Draw paper, selecting
> it, and dragging the resize handles. Constrain to 1:1 ratio (to avoid
> stretching or squishing) by plugging in a hardware keyboard and pressing
> "Shift" (still no way to do this without a hardware keyboard, even
> though I keep begging.)

Yes. I agree that that was a major oversight in the Works Draw module. I
know that Works was conceived for the eMate, but still, the Newt is a
pen-driven O/S after all. Chucks.

> Oh yeah, you could also e-mail it to your Newton, open from the Inbox
> with Newt'sCape, and do the "save as book" routine. If you leave the
> image in the Inbox you can also use the nifty built-in image viewer to
> zoom/move around, but it has to stay in the Inbox to do that (even
> though I keep begging for a "Put away to Tibet" or "Put away to
> PhotoShow" option.)

Is there no way to copy an image to the clipboard from the in-box?

Anyways... Thanks a million for your reply.

--
Jazz.

"Loquendi libertatem custodiamus." (Pim Fortuyn's epitaph)